New for 2020
1. Change to our Breakfast Menu.
2. Changes to our Reservations procedures.
3. Changes to our in house practice and the way we work to provide you with a safe and great experience.
We have noticed a reduction in the number and size of cooked breakfasts being ordered by guests and a need for “room only” accommodation.
Read how we are adapting here.
Our Breakfast Experience:
We had already made the move to a Continental Breakfast earlier in the year after trials in 2018 and 2019 to reduce food waste and meet our guest’s expectations.
During the recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic we are moving to an “order when you make you reservation” for our continental breakfast. This means that guests not want breakfast or wishing to go to a cafe for a cooked breakfast can save on the cost of their reservation. This will save food waste and allow us to provide as many pre-wrapped items as possible for hygiene reasons.
Open Buffet breakfast temporarily suspended:
Until further notice and to meet the needs and safety of guests we have temporarily stopped our open buffet breakfast. We will provide each room with their own breakfast in our dining room, where tables are also spread further apart for social distancing. Any non pre-wrapped food will be provided in individual covered containers.
Porridge will still be available and can be ordered the night before (starting Porridge making the night before makes for a better texture and taste). There will be no additional charge for this.
We do appreciate that not all guests will like this style of breakfast, but, we feel it is right to move for sustainability, guest requirements and preferences along with safety for the time being.
Changes to Reservation / Booking procedures
We are introducing temporary changes to the way we accept reservations at Torlundy House in an effort to minimise risk and comply with any social and health restrictions that we must adhere to in the future, while COVID-19 remains a risk around the world.
- Provision of valid credit card details at the time of making your reservation will be required.
- We reserve the right to pre-authorise your card for the cost of your reservation at any time after you place your reservation.
- In the event there is a resurgence of COVID-19 and we are required to close and cancel your reservation there will be no cancellation charges.
- In the event you cancel your reservation our normal cancellation charges will apply unless you can provide documentation showing that you are prevented from travel e.g. Your home country restricts you leaving, or your carrier (flight, ferry or train) cancels your travel booking due to COVID restrictions beyond our control.
- We will offer to transfer your reservation to a date in the future (maximum 12 months) at no additional cost to you and at the original price agreed should the situation require us to close down again.
Changes to in house practice and arrangements
When travel and lockdown restrictions allow us to open our Guest House we are proposing to make temporary alterations to how we work to protect our guests, business and ourselves. These could include the following changes:
- We may limit the number of rooms we make available to guests to 2 or 3 occupied at a time to allow us extra time to deep clean after guests check out.
- We may allow rooms to have 1 day unoccupied between guests to allow for deep cleaning.
- Continental Breakfast must be ordered at the time of making your reservation. This is to meet the requests from guests who do not require breakfast or prefer to make alternative arrangements elsewhere, such as a cooked breakfast. Guests not requiring breakfast will not be charged for it.
- Our breakfast room will be re-configured to aid social distancing.
- Our Continental breakfast will include as many individually wrapped items as possible and each table will have it’s own fresh un-wrapped items, effectively providing each room with their own buffet. This may limit some of the options we would normally provide.
- We reserve the right to remove some food items from our menu to limit exposure to general atmosphere and / or cover items.
- Our residents lounge is large and will safely social distance up to 2 couples.
- Hand sanitiser will be provided at various places in the public areas.
- We will no longer accept payment by cash. Only credit and debit cards, Applepay, GooglePay and SamsungPay will be accepted.
- We reserve the right to introduce other arrangements where required or advised to.
- We will not provide early check in to allow us time to ensure all necessary work has been carried out.
- To allow us time to carry out all cleaning and hygiene requirements and maintain our social distancing we will require all guests to be away from the house between 10am and 4pm (10.00hrs and 16.00hrs)
- If we are busy checking in guests you will be asked to wait outside until we can check you in on your own.
These additional arrangements could lead to extra time being required to provide our service to you, but this is in all our interests and we ask for your co-operation.
The additional arrangements also increase our costs, and the reduction in rooms occupied impacts on our lively-hood. We don’t want this after having our income reduced to zero for many months, but must introduce them to get back to the new normality for the future. We can only do this with the co-operation of our guests.
Lastly, more than ever now it will be important to make reservations at restaurants for evening dining. A list of the main places our guests have used over the years can be found here.
If you have any questions about any of the above we urge you to email or telephone us for clarification before you make your reservation. Email and telephone number at the top right of this page.
To tempt you, here is the view of Ben Nevis from our Breakfast Room! Not many B&Bs have this view at breakfast time.
Frank and Jesse welcome you back to The Highlands
Here is what Frank and Jesse's humans are doing to welcome you back to visiting The Highlands safely.
What do our guests say about us?
Take a look at what our Guests said about their stays with us over the years. Here are some excerpts from our Guest Book. You can also look us up on Tripadvisor.