A feast of these to delight you in the area.
Here is just a small selection of iconic places, Historic Scotland, you can visit, and all within easy reach of Torlundy House.
- Eilean Donan castle – privately owned but open to the public in the season. This castle has been a regular feature in many films, Highlander, James Bond and Entrapment, to name a few. Well worth a visit.
- Tioram Castle – a ruin on the Ardnamurchan Peninsula, sits on a rock outcrop and can become cut off from land at high tide
- Castle Stalker – some say the most haunted castle, lies between Fort William and Oban at Appin. Sits just offshore.
- Urquhurt Castle – icon ruin on the shores of Lochness near Drumnadrochit. Open all year, loads of parking and a good visitor centre
- Old Inverlochy Castle – here at Fort William beside the river Lochy and the “Soldier’s Bridge” over which the steam train passes in the summer. A ruin, but with loads of history. Do not confuse with the Inverlochy Castle Hotel!
- The Commando Memorial – Spean Bridge, built to commemorate the Marine Commandos who trained nearby at Achnacarry Castle. Fantastic views of the Nevis Range and Great Glen.
- Neptunes Staircase – a flight of locks at the southern end of the Caledonian Canal to lift and lower boats. The Canal runs from Fort William to Inverness and was constructed by Thomas Telford. Watch the boats large and small going through the locks. Only a couple of miles from Torlundy House
- Glenfinnan Viaduct and Monument to Bonnie Prince Charlie – located at Glenfinnan about 15 miles from Torlundy. National Trust visitor centre, walks and fabulous views down Loch Sheil. Cruises down the loch are available with eagles to be seen. Watch the “Harry Potter” steam train, the Jacobite, going over the viaduct on the West Highland Line. Visit the Station Museum for information, history and local walking information.
To tempt you, here is the view of Ben Nevis from our Breakfast Room! Not many B&Bs have this view at breakfast time.
Our Breakfast Buffet
We source as much of our food locally and of Scottish provenance. In season it is difficult to beat Scottish berries. Porridge always available.
What do our guests say about us?
Take a look at what our Guests said about their stays with us over the years. Here are some excerpts from our Guest Book. You can also look us up on Tripadvisor.
Healthy Breakfast Options
Comprehensive Continental Style buffet breakfast, cold meats, cheeses, smoked salmon and some daily treats, sourced locally and in Scotland where possible.
Fruit Options at Breakfast
We use as many Scottish berries as possible as well as other fresh fruits, often varying the selection and depending on the season.