Fort William is the “Outdoor Capital of the UK”, but what does this mean to you? What’s your “Outdoors” and what Activities do you want?
We think “Outdoors Activities” can be touring, walking, cycling or anything else you would like to see and do once you walk out of our front door. For some it is “Extreme Sports”, Mountain Biking, competing in endurance events and other physical activities.
Here in the “Outdoor Capital of the UK” we have more for you to do “than you can shake a stick at”. On this page you will find brief details of some of the places you can visit and things you can do. Fort William is not all about climbing Ben Nevis or outdoor sporting activities. There are activities for all ages, abilities and all weather conditions.
Here are some of them and check our “Links” section to other businesses that can help you:
- Touring by car / motorcycle – the best way to see the sights and vastness of the area. We have suggested tours to help you get the best from your time here. Just follow the directions on the copy you can take with you.
- The Jacobite Steam Train – the West Highland Line, known the world over for it’s use in the Harry Potter movies. Take the trip from Fort William to Mallaig, you get a couple of hours in Mallaig for a walk and snack before returning. Pre-booking of the Jacobite is usually necessary due to the popularity. The normal “sprinter train” runs the same route, but without the nostalgia of steam.
- Walking – easy or difficult walks, from going up Ben Nevis to a gentle lochside walk. There are plenty of Munros round here to “bag” as well.
- Mountain bike riding – the UCI World stages and championships are held here, the area being renowned for its diverse cross country tracks and also downhill tracks to take you down Aonach Mor in minutes, and don’t worry you don’t have to cycle up, the gondolas have bike carriers on them. More information from the Nevis Range website. You can also visit the Fort William World Cup website.
- Fishing – sea and fresh water (trout and salmon). Here in Torlundy there is a trout fishery and another a few more miles down the road. Mackerel are caught in Loch Linnhe near Fort William. The River Lochy is a fine salmon river – Book your beat on the River Lochy here
- Diving – the West Coast of Scotland offers great diving, sea lochs can be sheltered and are teaming with marine life.
- Horse riding – we have it here at Torlundy and another place near Oban
- Climbing for the less able – take the Gondola up Aonach Mor, for short walks to view points, refreshments along with spectacular views. There are two indoor climbing centres in the area where you can have a try or practice.
- Climbing for the experienced – rock or ice climbing. Guides and instructors available for those who need their assistance.
- Wildlife watching – eagles, ospreys, raptors, pine martens, otters, seals. Go out and find it yourself or take an organised tour/safari. More details at Wildlife Holidays.
- Adventure activities – quad bikes, 4×4 driving, kayaking, canoeing, canyoning, long list of activities available for those seeking something different.
- Winter Sports – skiing, snow boarding, and tobogganing are available at the Nevis Range which has slopes to cater for all skill levels.
Fort William and the surrounding area is officially designated “The Outdoor Capital of the UK” because it is the Outdoor Capital of the UK!
To tempt you, here is the view of Ben Nevis from our Breakfast Room! Not many B&Bs have this view at breakfast time.
Our Breakfast Buffet
We source as much of our food locally and of Scottish provenance. In season it is difficult to beat Scottish berries.
What do our guests say about us?
Take a look at what our Guests said about their stay with us in 2016. Here are some excerpts from our Guest Book. You can also look us up on Tripadvisor.
Healthy Breakfast Options
For those who don't always want a cooked breakfast we offer a selection of cheeses and breads that we change daily.
Fruit Options at Breakfast
We use as many Scottish berries as possible as well as other fresh fruits, often varying the selection.